Commercial Collection and Creditor Rights
Helping South Florida Businesses Satisfy Debts Owed
You expect to be paid for the services you provide and the products you sell. Unfortunately, collecting the money due to you can be time consuming and costly and, if you fail to take the right steps, you may never recover on certain debts.
The Law Office of Geoffrey D. Ittleman, P.A. is an aggressive litigation law firm that takes decisive action to recover funds owed to South Florida creditors. At your free evaluation, we explain your options, the costs of pursuing remedies available to you and the potential outcome of your claim. You should be better able to make a well-informed decision about whether and how you want to proceed based upon our candid, clear recommendations.
Collecting on a Debt
After meticulous analysis of your claim, our law firm strategizes the best course of action for recovering payment of a debt. We consider such factors as the value of assets owned or income earned by the debtor, the costs of pursuing the claim and the likelihood of securing a judgment under your particular circumstances. Depending upon the facts of your case, we may pursue collection through:
- Demand letter: Often, just a letter from your lawyer is enough to motivate the debtor to make prompt, full payment.
- Settlement: If appropriate to your situation, our attorney may negotiate a settlement that includes a viable payment schedule.
- Arbitration: Our firm often arbitrates debt cases as a quicker, less expensive alternative to litigation.
- Litigation: We recommend trial if we believe you can reach the best results through litigation.
Debt Collection Methods
Once we obtain a judgment through arbitration or litigation, we employ effective methods for collecting on the debt, such as:
- Investigating assets owned by the debtor
- Garnishing the debtor’s wages
- Attaching a lien to property
- Asking the court to order compliance
- Pursuing eviction or repossession, if appropriate
Creditor Rights in Bankruptcy Proceedings
The bankruptcy court is required to send a notice to creditors of a debtor who has filed for bankruptcy. You have only a short window of opportunity to protect your rights once you receive the notice to creditors.
Our firm fights for repayment of the debt owed to you by attending the meeting of the creditors — 341 meeting — to assert your claim in a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Depending upon the type of debt, we may assert your priority rights or reaffirm a debt based on collateral. In addition, we negotiate fair payment under a Chapter 13 bankruptcy repayment plan. We carefully analyze the debtor’s filings for fraudulent conveyance of assets, misstatement of the debtor’s financial information or other tactics the debtor might use to avoid paying on the judgment.
Recover the Money Due on Business Debts
The Law Office of Geoffrey D. Ittleman, P.A. helps clients pursue all available options for collecting on debts owed to you. Call our creditors’ law firm at (954) 462-8340 to schedule a free evaluation of the debt owed to you and the options available.