Property Damage Claims
Holding South Florida Insurance Companies to Their Obligations
After paying insurance premiums for years, you expect the insurance company to pay for damages that occur to your property, as your contract requires. However, oftentimes you have to fight to recover the money that is due to you.
The Law Offices of Geoffrey D. Ittleman, P.A. holds insurance companies to their obligations. We help you recover the damages you are entitled to under your homeowner’s or business insurance policy. Our lawyers are usually able to negotiate a fair compensation settlement, but we will recommend trial if it is the best option for you.
Our managing attorney Geoffrey Ittleman has helped South Florida policyholders for the past 15 years. He has numerous published decisions on a variety of insurance issues, including the application of deductibles on insurance policies, an insurance company’s partial payments on claims and resolution of disputed insurance claims.
Terms of Your Homeowner’s Insurance Policies
Homeowner’s insurance policies typically contain convoluted legalese and multiple clauses that can be difficult to interpret. Unfortunately, you may not realize the impact of certain terms on your rights until you seek compensation on a claim.
Our attorneys review your policy and advise you of your rights to damages caused by such events as:
- Flood: Many policies exclude flood coverage, but it may be included under FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program. Whether the water damage was caused by rising water or rainwater may also come into dispute.
- Hurricane: Hurricanes are a normal occurrence from June to December in South Florida. The level and nature of coverage varies with each insurance policy.
- Wind: Some policies exclude wind damage, which can complicate the claims process when both wind and rain from a hurricane or tropical storm cause severe damage.
- Burst pipe: Water can cause extensive damage to furniture, carpeting, drapes, clothing and appliances. Some policies provide for replacement at the value of your lost property, which is significantly lower than market rates for a new product
- Mold: Your insurance company may claim that your home is covered for water damage, but not the toxic mold that forms as a result of that damage.
- Fire: Insurance companies often refute the nature and value, or even the very existence, of property completely destroyed by fire.
Our firm assists you in accurately calculating the true value of your property damages and pursues the amount you are entitled to without delays.
Destruction of business property because of hurricane, flood, fire, water damage or vandalism can minimize profits at least and devastate a company in the worse cases. Our goal is twofold: to recover the amount of damages you are entitled to and to have your business up and running at full capacity as quickly as possible.
In addition to the actual property damages, you may be entitled to costs of interruption, payroll, temporary rental space, leases on equipment and other incidental expenses associated with the destructive event.
Recover for Property Damages
Law Offices of Geoffrey D. Ittleman, P.A. can help you recover for damages to your home or business. Set up an appointment to learn more about negotiating with your insurance company for the coverage you contracted for. Call our firm at (954) 462-8340 to schedule your free consultation.